Sunday, October 5, 2014

Product Review: The Flying Lure

The Flying Lure was originally introduced in 1992. The concept behind the flying lure is pretty amazing. The lure swims AWAY from you. The proprietary hook is weighted specifically to allow the stream lined body to glide away from the caster. This allows the lure to get under things that normal lures just can't. Back in 1992 and 1993, I bought and used these lures with mild success. One fond memory is that my father caught a massive carp on one of the 4 inch flying lures. Now, I am sure you are wondering why I am reviewing a 20 year old lure. Well, they are back. The company recently celebrated its 20 year anniversary and are offering and anniversary edition kit.

To be fair and clear the flying lure I used and will review is the original. This kit includes snakes, worms, and crawtails. Also, I used the 4 inch size, this kit looks like it includes 2 inch ones as well.


The Good.
1. They look super cool. Let's get that out there. These lures look great gliding away from you in the water.
2. They actually do glide away from you as advertised. So you can get them under docks, trees, and other cover.
3. They are available in many different colors to match a variety of situations. My favorite, because they catch fish, is the purple bottom with black back.
4. Even though the hooks are completely wacky looking, the rigging of the flying lure is easy.

The Bad.
1. The hooks are proprietary and I can only seem to find them online. Older anglers, such as my dad, would never go online to buy anything, let alone hooks. Nitpicking, I know. I also understand that the hook is what makes the lure "fly" in the water so it is necessary for them to be proprietary.
2. They weren't as productive as advertised. I did indeed catch a few fish but not the 10 pound monsters in the commercials. I also understand that that is the way of the world, so not an actual complaint.
3. I had very little, if any, success using these in moving water. They definitely glide better in still water.

Overall.
Overall I am excited to see them back. I hope they get the attention they did 20 years ago. I am liking this anniversary kit and am most definitely looking forward to using the snakes, crawtails, and the worms. When the kit was first launched, the company had a special price on it. Based on my experience with these, if you fish mostly still waters, these may be worth a buy.


No comments:

Post a Comment